Twitter on the iPhone: Twinkle vs Twitterrific

Posted in Social networking

Twinkle / Twitterrific

There are so many ways to Twitter from the iPhone – via SMS, via the web, or via a Twitter app. Currently I switch between two Twitter applications for the iPhone – Twinkle and Twitterrific. I’d much rather only use one application, but am stuck using both for now. Here’s a comparison chart (based on my experience) to explain why:

Twinkle

Twitterrific

Features
Style Design makes it easier to scan Clean interface but slower to scan
When posting fails You get an error message & need to retry Message goes poof
Location Aware Yes – though I’d rather turn "Nearby" off No
Cost Free Ad supported or Paid
Images in Tweets Yes – take photo or use existing Yes, use existing only – though I’ve yet to post one due to issue #2
Reply features Easier to send direct messages ; replying not as intuitive though Interface doesn’t make it easy to send direct messages ; icons used for reply functions
Navigation Single click to view message Double click to view message (a little annoying)
Links Open in new browser window Open in embedded nav window (so you never leave the app – faster)
Speed Opens quickly & scans quickly Can drag if you’re scrolling
User Profiles Shows profile & many of the latest tweets Shows profile & followers, but no stream of tweets
Issues Was showing me DMs by people I don’t follow. There were profiles I did not want to see. Unknown if this is fixed. Tends to crash a lot.

Neither application makes it very easy to click to people’s profiles that you don’t subscribe to (to follow @name links) or to follow new users. The photo features keep me locked into Twinkle, while the embedded browser keeps me locked into Twitterrific.

What do you think? Do you use either of these applications?

If you want to follow me on twitter, you can find me here: twitter.com/arieanna

7 Responses to “Twitter on the iPhone: Twinkle vs Twitterrific”

1. Darren says:

good list – however for some reason I ended up using Twittelator – just seems to fit with my twitter rhythm/workflow for some reason

2. kevin doyle says:

I prefer Twinkle. Images and the location based side of things makes it my number one choice. It does however turn off twitter updates by itself in the preferences.

3. den says:

I have been switching between TwitterFon (simple but stable) and Twitterrific (more for my pics, but buggy and cumbersome for quick tweets), I had a lot of issues with Twittelator. Although with every update all apps seem to be getting much better.

Twitter @denrosu

4. I am basically a Twitterific user. Unlike some others I have never had it crash on me, where as Twinkle was crashing. Additionally Twitterific seemed easier and cleaner to me – though all of that is just personal preference.

5. droid says:

Twittelator Pro just shipped and has many features neither of those two have! http://tinyurl/twitpro

6. Jonny Nguyen says:

yes, I absolutely agree with you, I am working on it too, check out my site to learn more, thanks.

7. arieanna says:

Funny how we all end up at different tools – how is it you start to use something?

For me, I used twitterific because I knew of the App in its non-iPhone form. I used Twinkle after hearing about it’s picture capability.